Thursday, November 3, 2011

The very crazy last few days....

Let's start with Friday...Friday I was FINE! I was having normal aches and pains, but by the third trimester that's to be expected, right? Well at my appointment they talked to me about the usual stuff of weight gain and told me my blood pressure was a little elevated but nothing too bad and then we discussed things that could go on in my labor and what not....

Then Saturday morning comes and I just don't feel right. I don't know really how to explain it but I thought I was just getting a cold or something so I stayed home from work and took some benadryll to try and kick the cold before it got any worse. I rested the whole day not doing much at all and just spent time with Stephen and enjoyed Chandler kicking up a storm. Sunday morning rolls around and I can barely stay out of the bed. I put away some laundry, put some dishes in the dishwasher, and then I had to take another nap! When I woke up, we got ready for my birthday party but I still was really sleepy. I thought I was hiding it well but Stephen's family knows me pretty well already and his mom and grandma both said I looked really tired. Which in my hormonal pregnant mind means "You looked awful!" But I know that's not what they mean :)

So Halloween rolls around and I wake up with this new pressure in my pelvis and I realize that Chandler sure is "Stretching" a lot. I make an appointment with the midwife just to find out what's going on and that darn kid is trying to come out!! They told me that I was in the early stages of pre-term labor!!

All that stretching really was contractions and I was having one about every 3-4 minutes. Who Knew!

So they check my cervix and I'm 1 cm dilated, and "softer" than they're comfortable with. The midwife (Sarah) says she really wants me to go up to OB Emergency to be monitored but all I can think about is "Oh great, that's gonna cost a lot of money that we don't have" so she gives me a second option....I can wait 2 hours, drink lots of water, and then she can check me again before making her final decision. In that time that I'm waiting she'll run a test that is called Fetal Fibranactin or something like that and it's basically a prediction of if you'll go into labor in the next 2 weeks.

The test that she ran apparently is really great at saying when you WILL NOT go into labor, and it's usually 99% accurate in that department. It's not so great at saying if you really WILL go into labor early if you receive a positive result. It's about an 11% chance that you'll go into labor in the next 2 weeks if you receive a positive result. Guess which one we got...Of course we had to receive a positive test!

I was checked 2 hours later, and she thought I was about at 1.5cm and finally said I have to get upstairs and get on the monitors.

Since the OB emergency visit, (I did have to go back on Tuesday as well), the team up there ordered me to complete bed rest for the rest of the week and I have to have a follow-up with the midwife in the clinic.

Wednesday rolls around.....
I go to my follow-up appointment and as far as baby staying put things are looking good but my blood pressure is up again and I've lost weight and there's protein in my urine. Instructions are still resting for the week and try on Monday to see how things are going but since they're now worried about toxemia I have to come back AGAIN on Friday!!! I definitely had some tears at this appointment, I'm not gonna lie.

So here I home...just being as lazy as possible so that I don't go into pre-term labor.

On a MAJORLY bright side, I had my baby shower last night at Stephen's mom's house and had such a great time! The ladies from the ward brought me gifts of all their favorite things like butt paste, bag balm, and Parent's Choice diapers. I am so grateful to be surrounded by so many awesome people! Stephen has been amazing through all of this as well. He makes sure that I'm eating and that I'm drinking enough water. I really am a blessed girl!

Now as for if Chandler decides to make an early appearance...This is the game-plan
If I get to 3 cm then they'll give me steroids to strengthen Chandler's lungs and medicine to SLOW my labor but they won't stop it. I'll be admitted to the hospital and probably will be handed over to the High Risk medical team instead of the Midwives. That really makes me sad because the Midwife team has been so amazing this entire pregnancy and I just don't want to go back to just being a "patient" I really like being a person and them being considerate of how I feel about certain tests and so on.

But here I wait and hopefully Chandler just stays put for the next 6 weeks!! (Or Longer!)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry you have to deal with all that :P Hopefully the little guy will stay put for at least another 5 weeks. If you do end up with the high risk Drs up there, Dr Sullivan was my Dr with the twins and she was great, I felt really cared for.