Thursday, June 30, 2011

Our very bold choice....

We have now decided that we will for sure be doing cloth diapers right from birth.

I must admit I'm slightly overwhelmed because there are A LOT of cloth diapers to choose from, but I'm ready to embark on this journey! One of the main reasons is cost. It can be pretty expensive to cloth diaper at first, but then it pays for itself because you can reuse them for years and years!

Another reason that I found really important to do cloth diapers is how hot disposables can get inside all of that plastic. And lots of studies have shown infertility in males linked to disposable diapers. We also don't know the long term effects of the chemicals used to make disposable diapers.

I realize these aren't factors to worry about with other parents, but I believe this is the right choice for US!

I'm a hippie...using a midwife, cloth diapers....what's next?!

If anyone has any experience with cloth diapers, I would definitely love any advice! It's a large task to embark on, but since Stephen has been so supportive of it, I know we can do it!

1 comment:

  1. I used cloth diapers for a while with Jason and Jacob. Then I just got lazy lol. I still have a couple boxes of them sitting in the top of a closet. I think I would have stuck with it if I'd invested in better quality diapers instead of what was cheapest. I do pull them out when I run out of disposables, Nathan will probably get to wear a couple today cuz he only has one disposable left and I don't want to drag 5 kids to the store (another cloth diaper plus, no emergency runs to the store for diapers!). Right now we have a big stockpile of diapers for the babies still, but I have been thinking that when that runs out I may try doing cloth again, cuz 3 in diapers can get expensive lol!

    As for types of cloth diapers, All-in-ones are nice because they are so simple, but they take a lot longer to dry. Pocket diapers are nice because you can make them as absorbent as you need and they dry quickly. Fitteds and covers are cheaper, and prefolds and covers are even cheaper though you then have to learn how to fold them. I have mostly fitteds and prefolds and covers, and a couple AIOs and pockets. I like the pockets best, especially one-size pockets that adjust to grow with baby so you don't have to keep buying bigger sizes.

    ReplyDelete